- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 firm, ripe bananas (peeled, halved lengthwise, then halved crosswise)
cup dark rum
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest, then stir to dissolve the sugar (about 1 minute). NOTE: If the heat is too high, the butter and sugar will separate instead of combining to form a sauce.
- Add the bananas and spoon sauce over each piece. Cook until the bananas are glossy and golden on the bottom (about 1-2 minutes), then flip the bananas and continue cooking until very soft but not falling apart (about 1-2 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and turn off the burner.
- Add the rum and wait until the rum has warmed slightly, about 5 seconds. Wave a lit match over the pan until the rum ignites, shaking the pan to distribute the flame evenly.
- When the flames die out, divide the bananas and sauce among the four bowls of ice cream to serve.